Just what exactly is moissanite and how does it compare to a diamond? Simply put, moissanite is the closest thing to a diamond you can own. Most jewelers can’t even tell the difference between a moissanite jewel and a diamond without using a diamond tester or carefully examining the stone through a jeweler’s eyepiece. Charles & Colvard are the exclusive manufacturers of moissanite. Founded in 1995, Charles & Colvard was founded to cut, polish, and bring to market the first created moissanite jewels in 1998. The company holds exclusive patents on creating moissanite for jewelry. Since then, Charles & Colvard Created Moissanite® has become available in the United States in many fine jewelry stores and online retailers to consumers seeking affordable luxury.
Even more beautiful than a diamond?
Moissanite is a rare, naturally-occurring gemstone that is typically found in very small quantities in meteorites, corundum deposits, and kimberlite. Moissanite is silicon carbide that can also be grown in a lab and then hand faceted by master gem cutters to make jewels. Moissanite is known for its exceptional sparkle, having a high reflective index of 2.65 – which is even higher than a natural diamond of 2.42! Moissanite’s brilliance is further exemplified with its fire rating of 0.104 versus that of a diamond at 0.044. Learn more
Moissanite’s clarity rating is similar to a VS rating for a diamond. Very small, needle-like inclusions invariably develop during the lab-created moissanite growth process. These slight imperfections can only be seen when magnified using at least a 10x loop. They’re invisible to the naked eye. Because moissanite is essentially lab-created using natural elements, Charles & Colvard (the sole manufacturer of moissanite) is able to control the entire process and ensure the highest quality gemstone with the greatest care in regards to “Clarity.” Additionally, all moissanite jewels are individually inspected for any inclusions by expert gemologists of Charles & Colvard. If a stone is deemed to not make the grade, the stone will not be made available for sale.
Hardness and Durability
Moissanite is also known for its exceptional durability and resistance to scratching or other imperfections. Important to note is that a jewel can only be scratched by something equal to or harder than another material. A diamond is the hardest substance known to man with a rating of 10 on the Mohs scale. Moissanite is the second hardest substance known to man with a Mohs rating of 9.25. In other words, the only thing that can scratch a moissanite stone is another moissanite stone or a diamond. This is one of the reasons why moissanite is the ideal diamond replacement – it is nearly impossible to tell moissanite apart from a diamond, it is the most durable diamond substitute, its sparkle and brilliance is unmatched, and it is much less expensive.
Moissanite can also be cut in a variety of shapes and styles just like a diamond which is why it has become increasingly common as an alternative to engagement rings and wedding bands. And given its outstanding brilliance and sparkle, more people are also choosing moissanite over diamonds for earrings as well.
Looking for an alternative to your diamond?
- Engagement and wedding rings have sentimental value. They do not make for good investments. A moissanite ring still provides the sentimental value of your wedding, it honors the tradition of the ceremony, and it still maintains that “pop” and “flash” of a diamond.
- Moissanite stones are nearly flawless, as detailed above. They also have more sparkle and fire than a diamond.
- Many of our customers are, unfortunately, in financial difficulty. And many more do not even know there is an alternative to selling their diamond. Swapping out moissanite for your diamond will let you keep your jewelry, keep your dignity, and provide you with the cash your diamond is worth.
- Moissanite is virtually indistinguishable to a diamond. NOBODY will be able to tell the difference – not your friends, your family, your co-workers. And if they did, or you are not satisfied, you have 30 days to let us know and we will return your jewelry and your diamond to its original setting, no questions asked.
- You can sleep easy knowing that you are not subsidizing African warlords and the “blood diamond” market.